The Only Begotten Son of God!
It’s hard to understand all the confusion that exists in the churches today concerning the One True God and His Only Begotten Son! This is the very basics of the true Bible religion, and as such it is hated by the devil and his kingdom so that there seems to be no end to the attacks made against these important truths. The common belief in the popular Christian churches today is that of the trinity which has been defined as one god in three co-equal and co-eternal persons or beings. These are often identified as God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Our last lesson covered what must be the most important doctrine of the Bible, which is that there is only one true God. His name is Jehovah, and He is presented to us as God, the Father, the Almighty, the Most High, the Highest, the Ancient of Days, etc..
This lesson will cover His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ and what the Bible tells us about His being the Son of God. We have already covered the fact that He is the only way to the Father, but we need to see what His actual relationship is with the only true God!
1. What was God’s testimony concerning Jesus, at His baptism? Matthew 3:17
2. What did God say about Jesus, when He spoke again, at the Mount of Transfiguration? Matthew 17:5
There are two times that it is recorded where the audible voice of God was heard during the ministry of Jesus here on Earth. Both times the Father exclaimed that Jesus was His beloved Son and that He was well pleased with Him. So we have the testimony of God the Father, that Jesus is His beloved Son!
3. What did Jesus tell us about the great sacrifice that was made by God because of His great love for this planet? John 3:16
The Bible is very clear on this question! Jesus plainly stated that God loved this world so much that He gave His only begotten Son that this world might be saved, and not perish. So Jesus’ own testimony is that He was the Son of God, and that He was begotten of His Father! That term begotten in the original Greek is the word monogenes (literally mono = one, and genes = child). That term is used several times throughout the New Testament, and always mean exactly that, an only child! (See Luke 8:42 & 9:38).
4. What does the Old Testament tell us about the promised Messiah? Psalm 2:7
It is important to note that this Bible verse was far back in Old Testament times before the incarnation of Jesus! There are those who teach that Jesus was not really the Son of God until the incarnation (His birth in Bethlehem), but there are some interesting Old Testament Bible verses that dispute this idea! We will look at some of these shortly.
6. How did Jesus explain the idea of being begotten of God? John 16:27
The Bible teaches that everything emanates from the Father. It also teaches that the Father has given all things to the Son, but it is important to understand that everything began with the Father. Jesus says this several times, and here He says that He came out from the Father!
7. How did Jesus answer the high priest, when he asked about His being so quiet during His trial? Mark 14:60-61
8. What did Jesus finally say, when asked directly about being the Son of the Blessed God? Mark 14:62
It is interesting to note that Jesus refers to Himself as the Son of man 81 times in the New Testament (KJV), but He only refers to Himself as the Son of God 6 times! However, when directly asked the question here, He would not deny His Father, but he answered with a definite “I am!”
It is a difficult concept to consider, but an important one… Jesus did not come here to be the Son of God! He definitely was the Son of God from the time back in eternity when He was begotten of God! The Bible says that God gave His only begotten Son, and it stands to reason that to give His only begotten Son, God had to have an only begotten Son to give! Jesus was already the Son of God before the incarnation! When He was born of Mary, He became the Son of man! Jesus is letting us know that He didn’t really come here to be the Son of God (He was already the Son of God before He left Heaven)! He came here to be the Son of man, to be tempted in all points like as we are, to live out a godly life and be our perfect example in all things, and be the true Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world! All of these things were accomplished by His becoming one of us!
9. What did Peter say when Jesus asked Him the question: “Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” in Mark 16:13? Mark 16:17
10. Whom did Nathaniel say that Jesus was? John 1:49
11. Whom did the Apostle Paul preach that Jesus was? Acts 9:19-20
12. Whom did David prophesy that the promised Redeemer would be? Psalm 2:12
13. Whom did the wise man Solomon say had established all the ends of the earth? Proverbs 30:4
It is interesting that this Old Testament Bible verse mentions the fact that there were two who were involved in establishing the ends of the earth (creating this world). It says that it was a Father and Son team who did the creating of the earth and everything in it. Compare this to the following list of Bible verses to get the complete picture of the creation of God...
14. What does the Bible tell us about the only begotten Son of God in Proverbs 8:22-31?
15. What was Nebuchadnezzar’s testimony about what he witnessed the day he had Hananiah, Meshael, and Azariah thrown into the burning, fiery, furnace? Daniel 3:25
The book of Daniel tells the story about this pagan king, who chapter by chapter was converted to being a believer in the one true God of the Bible. His own testimony is given in Daniel chapter four concerning his conversion, but this statement shows that he had been taught about the Son of God, and yes, it was Jesus in the fiery furnace!
16. How did Jesus refer to the Father while hanging on the cross? Matthew 27:46
17. What did Jesus say about His Father when He spoke to Mary Magdalene by the empty tomb? John 20:17
18. How did Jesus refer to the Father four times in Revelation 3:12?
19. How did Paul describe this relationship of the Father and the Son? Ephesians 1:17
The truth of the Holy Bible is clear! The Father says that Jesus is His only begotten Son! The Son says that He is the only begotten Son of God that has come forth from the Father! The disciples and apostles have spoke to us that God is the Father, and Jesus is the Son of the living God! The Old Testament writers understood that the One True God was a Father, and that He brought forth a Son and gave Him to save the world! Even the devils (fallen angels, demons) know and believe that Jesus is the Son of the Most High God! How can any sincere Christian miss this important point and deny the most basic and popular Bible verse of all, John 3:16?